Thursday, January 16, 2014

Curfew imposed, 6 arrested after communal clash in Rajasthan Village,

Jaipur: After clashes on Tuesday in communally surcharged State after BJP swept assembly elections last month, three persons were dead and six were injured in violence in a village, however police acted swiftly, clamped curfew, deployed forces heavily contain the spread the violence and arrested six persons within hours. The curfew was imposed immediately continued in Kotadi village for second consecutive day.
"An additional force of 400 policemen has been deployed in the area to maintain law and order and to keep the situation under control," a police officer told media.
"The situation in the area is under control. There is no fresh incident of violence. Six miscreants have been rounded up and other identified accused will also be detained soon," the officer said.
A clash erupted on Tuesday night following a verbal spat between youths from two communities. Within hours over 20 thatched houses and shops were set afire in Kotadi village of Partapgarh district. Immediately after arson, curfew was imposed in night and relaxation was given event on Thursday according District Collector Ratan Lahoty.
In the incident, Raza Khan (20) of Kotadi village, Bhanwar Singh (50) and Dinesh (25), both from Moheda village, died of fatal injuries sustained, while six other injured are admitted in a hospital of Udaipur.
According to the police, the bodies reached houses on Wednesday evening and funeral will take place on Thursday amid tight security. A report said that the families of dead persons refused to take the bodies and sought compensation from the state government.
Tension had escalated in Kotadi and thereafter in Moheda village, at a distance of some 10 kms from Kotadi. It spread to nearby villages of Dalot and Salamgarh, where three shops were vandalised and a house was set aflame by a mob.
The state government has sent one IPS and a few RPS officers to restore harmony in the area. Forces from nearby districts have also been mobilised.
According media reports, the clash broke out in Kotadi village late in. Within minutes, crowds supporting each group gathered at the spot. The matter escalated when some people opened fire. This led to an exchange of fire and stone pelting between both groups, police said.
The youths who started the gunfire then rushed to a neighbouring village, Moheda, and in subsequent rounds of firing injured some people. This further incited the villagers and the clashes spread. Several kuchha houses and shops were set ablaze on Wednesday.
Additional forces and a special team headed by Inspector General Anand Shrivastava have reached to take charge of the situation. After curfew imposed, the situation was brought under control only by late evening.
Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje appealed to the locals to maintain peace and harmony and not get carried away by rumors..

No comments: